Introducing Accern Alpha One Sentiment
Posted: Oct. 7, 2015, 6:43 a.m. by atanass
We are really excited to introduce the Accern Alpha One sentiment database. The Alpha One daily sentiment data covers over 5,000 companies. The sentiment scores are derived from daily aggregations of over 5 million articles published by 20 million news and blog sources. The sources are monitored in real-time and 99.99% of the irrelevant articles are filtered out. The relevant articles are then scored with a 97% accuracy rate.
The database consists of two fields for each day:
- Sentiment - the Alpha One average sentiment of all the articles (from last 24 hours) related to the stock. The values are between -1 and 1.
- Impact Change - the average predicted (probability x 100) impact of articles (from last 24 hours) on the stock price of the stock. The values are between 0 and 100%.
The presence of this new database can be noticed in several places in Wootrader:
1. The Sentiment Woo
The Sentiment Woo (Model) is the latest addition to the General Woo model and already contributes to the general ranking.
On the Sentiment page, you can see the Rankings, Screeners, Industries and Performance tabs:
The Sentiment Woo has proven very effective, especially in muddy markets with a lot of volatility. As you can see in the screen shot above, the top 5 stocks ranked by this model have increased in value by almost 12% for the previous week, compared to a 5.46% increase for the S&P500. The average weekly performance in the last 5 days is +4.3% vs 1.06% for the S&P500.
If you go the Performance tab, you can see the exact 5 stocks that were ranked on the top of the Sentiment Woo a week ago and how much each one increased in value:
From the Industries tab, you can see how all industries are ranked based on the Sentiment Woo, a quick way to find which industries are most favored by internet articles and blogs:
2. Sentiment ScreenersThe Sentiment Woo is comprised of 6 screeners (indicators), here is the list with a short description:
- Alpha One Sentiment
- Ranked on the last Sentiment. If two stocks have the same sentiment, they are ranked by the Impact field.
- Alpha One Sentiment * Impact
- Ranked on the last Sentiment * Impact.
- Alpha One Sentiment Change
- Ranked on the last Sentiment Change compared to the previous Sentiment.
- Alpha One Sentiment * Impact Change
- Ranked on the last Sentiment*Impact Change compared to the previous Sentiment*Impact.
- Alpha One Sentiment Avg
- Ranked on the average Sentiment from the last 7 days.
- Alpha One Sentiment*Impact Avg
- Ranked on the average Sentiment*Impact from the last 7 days.
Following is a screenshot of the Sentiment Screeners. As you can see, so far they work equally well when comparing all stocks to each other as well as when comparing stocks within their own industries:
3. Stock Info
In the stock info panel have been added 2 new fields - Sentiment (and the change in percent since the previous sentiment, if there was one in the previous 7 days) and the Sentiment * Impact (and its change since the previous one, within the last 7 days):
4. Stock Warning
In the various screens that display stocks, a warning sign is displayed when the last Sentiment is negative:
5. Sentiment Rating
Each stock has a new Sentiment Rating, to quickly evaluate it's standing on the Sentiment Woo:
6. Detailed Sentiment Rating
You can also see the detailed Sentiment rating, based on each screener. Here each rating can be either global (when comparing all stocks against each other) and by industry (when we compare only stocks within the same industry:
7. Advanced Sentiment Panel
The Advanced Sentiment panel shows the sentiment and impact values, as well as the rankings and weights of each screener for the current stock:
8. Sentiment History
This tab shows the full available sentiment history for the current stock, sorted by the date of the sentiment data. The available fields are Sentiment, Impact and the Sentiment * Impact:
9. Sentiment History Graph
This chart displays the history of the Sentiment and Sentiment * Impact. You can select the timeframe for which the chart is displayed, so you can see how the sentiment was fluctuating during specific periods of time:
This was a short overview of the new Sentiment features, we hope you enjoy them as much as we had fun implementing them.